Thursday, September 24, 2009

Development Update


Right! I have purchased a copy of The Game Maker's Apprentice, a technical manual by the creators of the Game Maker program of which I happen to hold a professional license. The program is as easy to use as expected, with the first chapter of the manual providing simple enough instructions one can use to navigate the drag-and-drop interface. Progress is slow only due to the upcoming midterms, but I've successfully gone through the opening bits and made the book's first game off resources gleaned from the included CD -- a sparse introductory experience known as Evil Clutches:


As an assignment for my CS 1107 class, I've recorded a demonstration of a process I intend to use numerous times in completing actual independent games of my own -- the process of creating transparent "sprites": two-dimensional objects with invisible backgrounds, which can be manipulated and adjusted as the game program sees fit. This video was recorded in CamStudio, edited with VirtualDub, and compressed with Mediacoder. Music is "Fade Out", by Jazzanova off their album "In Between".


No comments:

Post a Comment